Dermal fillers (also called soft tissue fillers) are a non-surgical injectable treatment used to restore facial volume, create youthful facial contours, add volume to lips, and smooth out and reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and folds. The Hyaluronic Acid found in popular dermal fillers such as Juvederm® and Restylane® is a synthetic compound that acts similarly to the natural substance. It attracts water molecules and therefore acts like a cushion, propping up existing facial structures that have lost volume and elasticity as part of normal aging. By increasing the skin’s supply of Hyaluronic Acid, dermal fillers revitalize and add volume to the skin, smooth out wrinkles and lines, fill in hollowed out areas, and impart a softer, more youthful appearance.
Dermal fillers are used in the following ways to treat a variety of issues:
Reverse the Effects of Aging
1. Loss Of Facial Volume: As we age, the fullness of youth is lost, which is most evident in areas such as the lips, cheeks, and eyelids. By restoring volume, fillers are able to directly improve a gaunt appearance by filling in hollowed or sunken areas.
2. Tissue sagging: As skin ages, it atrophies, which affects the appearance of skin under the eyes, around the lips, the chin, jowls, and the area between the nose and the mouth.
3. Deepening Of Facial Folds And Wrinkles: With age, wrinkles and facial folds become more pronounced. Fillers are able to erase moderate to severe wrinkles, and folds such as:
– Nasolabial Folds (Laugh Lines): Lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth.
– Marionette Lines: Lines from the lips down to the sides of the chin.
– Lipstick Lines: Lines on the upper lip created when the lip is pouting, such as during lipstick application, cigarette smoking, etc.
– Corners Of The Mouth: Downward pointing lines emanating from the corners of the lips, which give the appearance of a grimace.
4. Fine Lines: Fine facial lines become more problematic with the passage of time – in particular, tiny lines below the eyes, and around the lips.
Improve Your Appearance
1. Lip enhancement: Fillers can be used to plump up thin lips, rendering them more voluminous and attractive.
2. Augmenting the cheeks: A gaunt, sunken in look can be improved by the administration of fillers.
3. Narrowing The Appearance Of The Jaw Line: A wide jaw line is not considered to be feminine. Strategic injection of dermal fillers to the Masseter muscle can make the face appear narrower and more attractive.